West Coast Wilderness Cycle Tours
West Coast Wilderness Experience
For the 2017/18 season, we have a new version of our West Coast Wilderness Experience. In just a few days, you get to experience the Tranzalpine, one of the top 10 train journeys in the world, ride the West Coast Wilderness Cycle Trail, walk high above the forest at the Treetops Adventure, see a Glacier, jet boat down the wild and remote Haast River, explore Wanaka and Lake Hawea via their cycle Trail network and finally, cycle along the Queenstown Trail into Queenstown.
“Keep up the great work and I look forward to joining you again for our next adventure. It was a fabulous few days”.
Sally Bower, Australia
We organise everything for you, include your meals, shuttle you when you’re tired and even supply a toilet tent if you get caught short! Start your tour from Christchurch by joining the Tranzalpine train journey across the Southern Alps to Greymouth where we collect you from the station, adjust your bike to fit and let you ride off down the coast to Kumara. Over the next few days you ride through dense west coast forest and bush, explore the ancient podocarp forests from above and below and learn much about the rich west coast gold heritage before finishing the trail at Ross. From Ross, we take you to Franz to stay the night where you have the option to get up close and personal with a West Coast Glacier.
From Franz Josef you get a day off the bike to enjoy a leisurely drive through the stunning Haast Pass, with multiple stops for side walks to waterfalls and an incredible jet boat ride on the Haast River before ending the day in Wanaka. Then it’s time to explore the very best of the Hawea and Wanaka Cycle Trails before ending your adventure riding into Queenstown on the best of the Queenstown Trail.
WEST COAST WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE
This is a fully inclusive, fully supported 3 trail combo for the West Coast Wilderness, and highlights of the Wanaka and Queenstown Cycle Trails.
The West Coast Wilderness Experience includes:
- The Tranzalpine Train journey from Christchurch to Greymouth
- 6 days, 5 nights accommodation
- 240km over 5 days of riding (48km/day)
- Treetop Walkway Adventure
- Hokitika Gorge
- Scenic Jet Boat ride
- Trail Fees
- Fully supported with an experienced local driver
- Transport to Queenstown (airport or accommodation) OR to join another trail experience with us
- Snacks (fruit, nuts and lollies, more of our ‘all you can eat’ philosophy!)
- Bike Hire**, 29er front suspension mountain bikes (or ebikes for an additional charge) with gel seats, fully serviced before every trip. (We also carry a spare MTB bike, just in case).
- All meals included (lunch on day 1 through to lunch on day 6) We like good food and we like variety. Dinners are high quality with fresh local produce, lunches are delicious ‘all you can eat’ picnics.
As the West Coast Wilderness Trail is only 135km long, combining it with the best sections of the Wanaka and Queenstown Cycle Trails totals around 240km which makes for a perfect week long adventure.
- Day 1: Catch the Tranzalpine from Christchurch at 8:15am, considered to be one of the top 10 train journeys in the world. We meet you in Greymouth for lunch at the Monteiths Brewery before fitting you to your bike. Start the West Coast Wilderness Trail on the first section to Kumara. An easy ride past West Coast beaches and through native forest and bush.
- Day 2: This part of the trail takes you from Kumara, past the Kapitea Reservoir and through some very remote West Coast bush. Enjoy the climb and then the downhill into Milltown. From Milltown, there’s a lovely twisty downhill that takes you down into the valley and through farmland before an undulating ride leads you to the beautiful Lake Kaniere and the Lake Kaniere water race. Follow the trail through to Hokitika with a worthwhile side trip to the stunning Hokitika Gorge.
- Day 3: The trail leaves Hokitika and quickly follows the old historic Mahinapua Tramline through to the West Coast Treetops walk where you get to see the forest from high above. After lunch, you continue on to finish the trail in Ross. We drive straight to Franz Joseph in time for dinner.
- Day 4: After breakfast, depending on the weather, you have the option of adding a scenic flight over the Fox glacier (not included) before we head off to explore the Haast Pass. Be prepared for some short walks and a magnificent jet boat ride on the Haast River. Arrive in Wanaka with time to stretch the legs by the lake before dinner.
- Day 5: Explore the Wanaka Trail from Lake Hawea to Lake Wanaka and then the Clutha River down to Luggate for a drink to end the day. We treat you tonight with a local chef who will showcase their talents using local ingredients.
- Day 6: Finish your journey to Queenstown by cycling through the Gibbston Valley towards Arrowtown on the Queenstown Trail, stopping for lunch on the way.
Expect to be back in Queenstown around 5pm
- Theatre Royal Hotel, Kumara – Twin/double rooms with ensuite
- Hokitika – Twin/double rooms with ensuite
- Franz Joseph – Twin/double rooms with ensuite
- Lake Wanaka Holiday Home
- Lake Wanaka Holiday Home
2017/18 SEASON TOUR DATES***:
(Most tours depart on a Monday morning)
November 20th – Fully Booked
December 4th – Places Available
December 11th – Fully Booked
January 15th – Places Available
January 29th – Places Available
February 12th – Places Available
February 26th – Fully Booked
March 5th – Places Available
March 19th – Places Available
April 2nd – Places Available
April 16th – Places Available
G = Trip is Guaranteed to depart with a minimum of 4 people
WEST COAST WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE PRICES:
2017/18 Season: (Oct 2017 to May 2018) $2795 per person twin share
Single Room Supplement: from $395 per person, when available
EBike Upgrade: $385 per bike
if you have specific date in mind, contact us as soon as possible as popular dates are sold out well in advance.
To inquire about this Experience or discuss the other tour options, either call us or fill out the following form with some basic details so we are able to help you:
Read our full review of the West Coast Wilderness Trail.
* Accommodation and suppliers correct at the time of writing but may be subject to change due to circumstances outside our control. Please check at the time of booking.
** Our hire bikes are 29er front suspension mountain bikes. After 4 years of experience and feedback from hundreds of customers, they have consistently outperformed all other bikes as the best style of bike to ride cycle trails. We strongly advise that you do NOT use hybrid bikes or non-mtb tyres when riding cycle trails, hybrid bikes are for Rail Trails only! We provide a spare bike on all trips so there is no discount for bringing your own bike.
*** Tours are only guaranteed to depart with 4 or more people