Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Tours
The A2O (Alps 2 Ocean) Experience is a 7 day, 6 night, stress free way to ride the entire Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail. We organise everything for you, include your meals, shuttle you when you’re tired and supply a toilet tent when needed (with the current lack of facilities and trees, most people think this bit is essential!). Our small group tour starts and finishes from Queenstown and takes you the entire length of the trail, from the stunning alpine region of the first 4 sections in the Southern Alps through the Waitaki Valley and along the Vanished World limestone wonders on the way to Oamaru at the Pacific Ocean.
This is a fully inclusive adventure where everything is organised for you. The A2O Experience includes:
- Return transport from Queenstown (Other towns by agreement)
- 7 days/6 nights accommodation
- 6 days of riding
- Twin share rooms in lodges, B&Bs, hotels and cottages, (shared facilities in some locations), single supplement available (off peak only)
- Helicopter transfer to the official start of the trail at Chop Creek
- All meals included (lunch on day 1 through to breakfast on day 7) We like good food and we like variety. Dinners are high quality with fresh local produce, lunches are delicious ‘all you can eat’ picnics.
- Snacks (fruit, nuts and lollies, more of our ‘all you can eat’ philosophy!)
- Fully supported with an experienced local driver
- Clay Cliffs access fee
- Omarama Hot Tubs
- Bike Hire**, 29er front suspension mountain bikes with gel seats
- EBike Upgrades are available
The day by day itinerary is:
- We depart from Queenstown by 9am (other pickup points by prior arrangement) and drive to Mt Cook Village. You’ll be fitted to your bike, briefed on the trail and then ride to the airport to be flown by helicopter (included) across the Tasman River to an amazing section of trail in the wilderness. Enjoy the remoteness of this first section alongside the Tasman River and then Lake Pukaki through to Braemar Station.
- Follow Lake Pukaki along gravel roads and smooth, purpose built cycle trails with the magnificent Mt Cook as your backdrop. Eventually leave the lake behind and head across the Pukaki Flats to Twizel then follow the cycle trail alongside the local canals to finish at Ohau Weir.
- Start the day from the where you finished yesterday and enjoy the morning ride along the flowing cycle trail around Lake Ohau on the way to Ohau village.From the base of the Ohau ski field road start with a gentle climb from the base of the mountain range to be rewarded with amazing views and then a fun downhill ride to join the high country station road leading to the amazing Clay Cliffs. We finish in Omarama for a relaxing soak in the outdoor hot pools. (Included)
- From Omarama, enjoy the changing scenery as you follow the beautiful lakes and dams of the Waitaki Hydro electric systems to end in Kurow for dinner.
- From Kurow, the trail flows down the valley along the river and through the wetlands to Duntroon where you turn away from the main road and pass through completely different scenery once again as you ride past the Vanished World Sites of the fossils, Maori rock drawings and Elephant Rocks.
- The final day. Enjoy rolling farmland and the latest section of new trail before arriving by the ocean in Oamaru. You arrive in time for lunch (supplied) and then have time to explore the historic old time before leaving late afternoon for your final nights accommodation.
- You’ve done it! We take you back to Queenstown with your memories and photos. (Alternative drop-off points by prior arrangement).
Expect to be back in Queenstown around 12pm.
Due to the limited selection of accommodation for groups along this trail, this accommodation usually has a range of some ensuite, some private bathrooms and/or some shared bathrooms in the same location. We try to ensure that the ensuite rooms are shared fairly across the group throughout the tour.
- Braemar – Cottages with some shared Bathroom Facilities
- Twizel – Lodge Rooms with ensuite
- Omarama – Motel, Twin/double rooms with ensuite.
- Kurow – A new for 2017 Lodge Rooms with ensuite rooms
- Duntroon – Cottages with some shared bathroom facilities
- Oamaru – Luxury, historic B&B, twin/double rooms with ensuite or private bathroom
** The exact accommodation may change depending on availability and the needs of each tour.
2017/18 TOUR DATES***:
(Tours depart on a Monday morning and return Sunday lunchtime)
October 21st – Fully Booked
November 6th – Fully Booked
November 13th – Fully Booked
November 20th – G, ONLY 2 Places Remaining
November 27th – G, ONLY 4 Place Remaining
December 4th – Places available
December 11th – G, Places available (Including ONE female twin share place to avoid a single room supplement)
January 29th – Places available
February 5th – Fully Booked
February 12th – G, ONLY 4 Places remaining
February 19th – Places available
February 26th – Places available
March 5th – Fully Booked
March 12th – Places available
March 19th – Places available
March 26th – Places available
April 2nd – G, 6 Places still available
April 9th – Fully Booked
April 16th – Fully Booked
April 22nd – Fully Booked
G – Guaranteed Departure. Tours are only guaranteed to depart when we have 4 or more people.
2017/18 Season Prices:
Peak Season (January/February/March 2018) $3195 per person
Off Peak Season (October/November/December 2017 and April 2018) $2795 per person
Single Room Supplement Due to the shortage of single accommodation on this trail, the rate is $475 off peak, $1175 in peak season.
EBike Upgrade $385 per bike
For more information on the Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail, please visit our A2O Trail website: A2OCycleTours.co.nz
* Accommodation correct at the time of writing but may be subject to change. Please check at the time of booking.
** Our hire bikes are 29er front suspension mountain bikes. After 4 years of experience and feedback from hundreds of customers, they have consistently outperformed all other bikes as the best style of bike to ride the entire trail. We strongly advise that you do NOT use hybrid bikes or non-mtb tyres when riding the entire trail. We provide a spare bike on all trips so there is no discount for bringing your own bike. Our eBikes are the amazing Merida eBig Tour XT.