New Zealand Cycle Trail Great Rides
We Operate on the Following NZ Cycle Trail Great Rides:
‘Nga Haerenga – The New Zealand Cycle Trail’ is a partnership project between the Government and the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. The Government invested $50 million and, with the commitment of the local communities involved, generated a further $30 million of co-funding towards the construction of the inaugural Great Rides.
‘Nga Haerenga’ means ‘the journeys’, both in a physical and spiritual sense, which is exactly what you will experience on the New Zealand Cycle Trail.
The Great Rides are the premier rides on the New Zealand Cycle Trail. They are predominantly off-road trails that showcase the very best of New Zealand’s landscape, environment, culture and heritage.
In the South Island, we’re fortunate to have some of the best of these Great Rides easily accessible from Queenstown. From the 2015/16 season (October 2015 to May 2016), Not a Rail Trail will be operating on the following NZ Great Rides:
- Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail*
- Around the Mountains Cycle Trail*
- Clutha Gold Cycle Trail
- Roxburgh Gorge Cycle Trail*
- Otago Rail Trail**
- West Coast Wilderness Trail*
- Queenstown Trail
Have a look at this comparison table and see which trail you like to ride. If you’re not sure which to try, just work your way down the list…
* Many of the New Zealand Cycle Trails are still officially classified as ‘unfinished’. This means that, although they are all rideable, there are some sections where the surface or exact route is planned to change over the coming years. Riding them now gives you a raw, quiet and more adventure feel to your journey. As the years go by, these trails will likely become busier as they get potentially ‘easier’ and have increased number of suppliers including bike shops, cafes, toilets, shops and accommodation.
Regardless of the surface or exact route, the scenery is 100% finished!
** We only operate on the Otago Rail Trail by request and only when combining with other cycle trails. Although it was originally just for the new cycle trails, the New Zealand Cycle Trail network was expanded to include the existing Central Otago Rail Trail. This is what started the confusion between Rail Trails and Cycle Trails…
For information on any of the tours on these trails, please contact us…